3 in 1 healthy chocolate indulgence: chocolate chia pudding / hot chocolate / chocolate milk shake
This recipe is actually a three in one. I was experimenting with healthy hot chocolate some time ago and while tasting I came up with the idea of making a dessert with it as the mixture was just so delicious! And what’s easier than chocolate chia pudding? Just throw in some chia seeds, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and top it with your favourite fruits.
With summer just around the corner you’re probably not so much into hot chocolate and that’s how I came up with number three: Instead of drinking it hot, just mix in a few ice cubes and enjoy as a chocolate milk shake.
Trying various types of plant based milks I concluded that almond milk truly is the perfect match to chocolate. No other milk is so creamy and gives a perfect nutty flavor (except for hazelnut milk which also makes a great alternative). This combination of almond milk, caramel like medjool dates with cacao and cinnamon tastes so incredibly good, you would never think that it is actually good for you.
Here’s what you’re doing good to your body by indulging in this chocolatey treat: Almond milk keeps your skin glowing with plenty of vitamin E while barely having impact on your blood sugar. It further keeps your heart healthy because it does not contain cholesterol but healthy fats which help to prevent high blood pressure and heart disease.
Cocoa is a natural mood booster by raising serotonin levels and it has a high antioxidant activity that protects your cells from free radicals. Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants as well and helps fighting infections through its anti-inflammatory properties.
Medjool dates are rich in fiber which will keep you full for longer and further curb sugar cravings by maintaining your blood sugar levels steady.
Finally chia seeds are a true superfood by delivering a massive amount of nutrients with very few calories. They are the highest plant source of omega-3 fatty acids which help keeping your heart healthy and lower blood pressure.
Sounds fabulous, doesn’t it? 😉
I would love to hear from you how you liked it! What is your favorite healthy dessert?
- 1 cup almond milk (or hazelnut milk)
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tbs almond butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tsp cocoa nibs (optional)
- raspberries & physalis for topping (optional)
- Place all ingredients except for the chia seeds in a blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
- If you want to make a hot chocolate, gently warm the mixture in a pot and enjoy!
- For a milk shake mix in 1-2 ice cubes.
- For the chocolate chia pudding, put the mixture into an airtight container or mason jar and fold in the chia seeds.
- Let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight, stirring it once after 15-30 minutes.
- Enjoy as it is or top it with homemade granola, cocoa nibs, banana, blueberries, raspberries or other fruits of your choice.