Chocolate Almond Energy Balls
Do you know that craving for something sweet after lunch or dinner? Instead of grabbing cookies, chocolate or other sweets I have something for you. These energy balls make the perfect sweet snack that is actually good for you (which doesn’t mean you should eat the whole batch all at once 😉 )
Almonds are my favorite nut as they taste so delicate and are super healthy. They are high in antioxidants, healthy fats, vitamin E, magnesium, protein and fiber. The last two are helping to increase satiety so you won’t feel the urge to snack on other „unhealthy“ stuff.
Cocoa is a natural mood booster by raising serotonin levels and it has a high antioxidant activity that protects your cells from free radicals. Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants as well and helps fighting infections through its anti-inflammatory properties.
Medjool dates are rich in fiber which will keep you full for longer and further curb sugar cravings by maintaining your blood sugar levels steady.
You can either make them with almonds only, or use combination of almonds / cashews or other nuts you have on hand. I also tried them with brazil nuts once, which was delicious! What’s your favorite healthy snack?
- 1 cup (140g) almonds (or ½ cup almonds & ½ cup cashews)
- ½ cup medjool dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (plus more for coating, if desired)
- 2-3 tbs cocoa nibs
- Add the almonds to your food processor and pulse until you have small pieces. Be careful not to blend to long, you don’t want a flour texture.
- Pit your dates and add to the blender with cinnamon and cocoa.
- Blend until for about 2 minutes until the mix is gooey and sticks in between your fingers.
- Add in cocoa nibs and pulse a few times to combine.
- Form small balls with your hands and either leave them plain or dust with cocoa powder.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for one week.
- You can either make them with almonds only, or use combination of almonds / cashews or other nuts you have on hand. I also tried them with brazil nuts once, which was delicious!