I’ve eaten acai bowls in health food cafés a few times and always wanted to recreate it at home. Most recipes I have seen require the frozen acai fruit puree. In Germany this is quite hard to get and can mostly only be ordered online. Some time ago I got acai powder which can be stirred into smoothies and bowls. I tried it combined with some frozen berries, frozen banana for a creamy texture, a medjool date for sweetness, almond butter and almond milk. The outcome was a very creamy bowl of berry goodness. Topped with blueberries, pomegranate seeds and my favourite homemade granola it makes an amazing breakfast or afternoon snack.
The fruits I love the most during summer time are definitely berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries – I eat at least one sort nearly daily as long as they are freshly available. The good thing about this recipe is that you can easily use frozen berries. So you can enjoy this bowl all year round.
Here are some stunning health benefits of berries:
- loaded with antioxidants which protect your cells and fight bacteria
- improve your blood sugar and insulin levels
- provide many nutrients as vitamin C
- help fight inflammation
- 2 tbs acai powder
- 1 frozen banana, cut into slices
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries*
- 1 medjool date
- 1 tbs almond butter
- 1/2 cup or more almond milk** (depending on your blender you might need a bit more)
- pomegranate seeds
- popped quinoa
- Combine all ingredients in your blender or food processor. You might need to add some more almond milk to get it going or you let the frozen fruit thaw for about 10 minutes.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour into your favourite bowl and top with your desired toppings.
- * I used a berry mix, but you can also use just one sort
- **any other plant based milk also works