Vegan Nutella Cake
I have to admit that I tried several recipes for vegan cakes that did not turn out so well. Either the consistency was weird or the flavour was just not satisfying. I think it is very easy to substitute cows milk or butter with plantbased milk and coconut or sunflower oil. It’s mostly the eggs that make a huge difference.
This new trial was for my birthday cake I brought to work a while ago and I wanted one of my colleagues to have a slice, too and she cannot tolerate eggs. I have already used chia eggs, flax eggs, banana and applesauce as substitutes but it really depends on the recipe where which one works best. When I heard about apple cider vinegar and baking soda as a replacement I was really excited to try this. Gladly it turned out very well and convinced all my colleagues. For me the best test is if they do not recognize that the cake is vegan and they like it. If you are being asked for the recipe afterwards, you can be totally sure that they were not just nice 😉
I added some ground hazelnuts to the cake to give it this nutella-like flavour and to give it some more texture. Feel free to swap for ground almonds or leave it out completely.
With the topping you can be adventurous as well. If you don’t have much time, simply dust it with icing sugar or leave it plain. I coated it with dark chocolate to give it an even more intense chocolate flavour. Another great benefit is that it keeps the cake moist if you need to store it for a few days.
Finally you can also top with a delicious icing and make it look very fancy 😉 I imagine peanut butter or a chocolate icing would go very well with it. Will need to try this soon..
I am always on the lookout for some vegan cake recipes, please let me know if you have a good one!
- 270g flour (I used whole wheat)
- 4,5 tbs cocoa
- 200g coconut sugar (or any other sugar)
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1,5 tsp baking soda (Natron)
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla
- 360 ml oat milk
- 1,5 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 75g coconut oil, liquid (or sunflower oil)
- 3 tbs ground hazelnuts (optional or swap for ground almonds)
- 100g (vegan) dark chocolate*
- a few tbs icing sugar
- a fancy icing of your choice 🙂
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees celsius. Grease springform with a bit of coconut oil and slightly dust it with cocoa powder.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Combine both and stir it shortly but thoroughly.
- Give dough into baking dish, smooth it out and place into the oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick if its done. Take it out as soon as there sticks no more dough to the toothpick, to make sure it doesn't get dry.
- Let it cool and decorate with dark chocolate or your favourite topping.
- I used a 26cm sized springform
- * This keeps the cake moist if you need to store it for a few days.